The PrintAgent is a Windows or Linux service that can be installed on the DFE of the printer and acts as a local application. It enables remote RIPs to query local files at the printer DFE and to spool files to the local harddisk without having to set-up sharing and access rights.
Copy PrintAgent.py in the home directory of the logged in user. Then perform the following command the install PrintAgent:
sudo python3 ~/PrintAgent.py
The installer will ask to confirm the EULA and after that type in the work/hotfolder of the DFE.
To change the settings it is easiest to uninstall the PrintAgent using the following command and install PrintAgent again like explained above:
sudo python3 ~/.printfactory-printagent/PrintAgent.py destroy
tail -f ~/printfactory-printagent/printagent-server.log
- Open an elevated cmd.exe prompt (Go to Start -> Type cmd -> Right click -> Run as administrator)
- Navigate to the folder containing SysinternalsSuite using the cd command (e.g: “cd C:\User\Desktop\SysinternalsSuite”) -> Enter
- Execute the following command: “psexec -i -s cmd.exe” -> Enter
Note: You are now inside of a prompt that is nt authority\system and you can prove this by typing “whoami”. The -i is needed because drive mappings need to interact with the user.
- Create the persistent mapped drive as the SYSTEM account with the following command: “net use z: \\servername\sharedfolder /persistent:yes”
Note: This command will map the folder from the command (“sharedfolder”) to a network location (z in this case).
Download PrintAgent for Windows
Download PrintAgent for Linux
While setting up a driver that supports the use of the PrintAgent a Terminal-icon will appear right to the TCP/IP field. When the DNS or IP address of the DFE running PrintAgent is entered this button gives access to a remote view on the DFE. This can be used to test the connectivity between the RIP and the DFE.
The following actions are possible:
- Connect : This will connect the RIP to PrintAgent on the DFE and show the content of the hotfolder set-up in PrintAgent.
- Double-click on Folder: Expands the folder and shows the content of the folder on which is double-clicked.
- Double-click on File: Downloads the file from the DFE and saves it locally.
- Drag & Drop file: Dragging a file from the Windows Explorer or Finder onto a Folder in the PrintAgent View window will upload the file to the DFE.