A compound path contains two or more paths that are painted so that holes appear where paths overlap. Compound paths act as grouped objects.
How to cut a hole in an object by using a compound path
1. Select the object to use as a hole and position it so that it overlaps the object to cut.
2. Repeat for any additional objects you want to use as holes.
3. Select all objects you want to include in the compound path.
4. Click Arrange > Make Compound Path.
Holes appear where paths overlap.
How to release a compound path
Releasing a compound shape separates it back into separate objects.
1. Select the compound path you want to release.
2. Click Arrange > Release Compound Path.