There are 2 methods to upgrade an existing GMG ProductionSuite installation to PrintFactory. Both of them use the PS2PFUpgrade tool to perform the changes needed:
- Run the full PrintFactory installer downloaded from the website (v5.0.8 and later)
- Run the automatic update that will be presented in GMG ProductionSuite at start-up as of early January.
The PS2PFUpgrade tool will only work when there is a ProductionSuite data folder in the C:\Users\Public (Windows) or /Users/Shared (MacOS) and no PrintFactory data folder. When it passes this test the following actions are performed:
- All ProductionSuite applications are stopped
- ProductionSuite data folder is renamed to PrintFactory
- All ProductionSuite preference XMLs in the data folder are renamed to PrintFactory
- All references to the ProductionSuite data folder inside the configuration XMLs are updated to the PrintFactory data folder
- All shortcuts to ProductionSuite application in the Dock (MacOS) or on the Desktop (Windows) are updated to PrintFactory
- All PrintStation shortcuts on the desktop are updated to PrintFactory
Every action is logged in the file “PrintFactory upgrade.log” which is stored in C:\Users\Public (Windows) or /Users/Shared (MacOS).
On MacOS the logging is also visible in the installer log of the PrintFactory installer (Apple+L while running the installer).
Note: The existing ProductionSuite applications will remain on the computer when the MacOS installer is used. The /Application/GMG folder can be deleted manually after the upgrade procedure if you wish.
Rolling back the upgrade is a manual process. Depending on how the upgrade process has been performed, the following steps have to be executed to get back to the old configuration:
Case 1 – the automatic updater from ProductionSuite has been used
- The shortcuts of ProductionSuite have to be placed back on Desktop, as the resource files from C:\Users\Public\ProductionSuite (Windows) or /Users/Shared/ProductionSuite (MacOS) are already in place.
Case 2 – manually installed the PF release version over the existing ProductionSuite version:
- Rename the “PrintFactory” data folder from the public folder to “ProductionSuite”.
- Inside the data folder rename every XML starting with “PrintFactory” to “ProductionSuite”.
- Optionally: open the XMLs and perform the above replace in those XMLs too. If this is not executed references to profiles or jobs might be lost, but the main part of the set-up is recovered.